We have a lot going on this month, from preparing for finals to preparing for Christmas. Seeing that Christmas is one of the happiest times of the year, we want to make it the best for you! Finals can be a stressful time, and we want to wish you the best of luck on exams! Be on the lookout for extended office hours during finals week. We’ll have some exam goodies and supplies here in the office for you to pick up. Also, if you’re finding that your winter coats aren’t fitting or would like to purchase one, we’ll be having a coat drive here in the office all month long!
- If you haven’t set up your resident portal account, please visit https://livethebower.com/residents. There, you will be able to log in to your portal to pay rent, check balances, and submit work orders anytime!
- Have you ever found it hard to talk to your roommate about issues in your apartment? Our Resident Director Cheyanne Rollings is always open to help in any situation.
- Cold weather tips:
- Leave your heat set to a minimum of 65 degrees (this prevents pipes from freezing).
- Leave your sink cabinets open.
- Allow a small drip from all faucets.
- Stock up on food/water in case of extreme weather conditions.
Reminders & Updates
- Rent is due the 1st of every month, and late fees will be applied on the 6th.
- If you have a maintenance emergency or are locked out of your apartment after hours, please contact the on-call Community Assistant at (252) 321-7613.
- Keep in mind that if you have an emergency work order, you MUST call it in instead of submitting online. Water intrusions, power outages, and HVAC systems are examples of emergencies.
Tips to Help You Through Finals Week
The time that you’ve been dreading all semester is here: final exams. This is a very stressful time for everyone, so remember to take a minute just for you.
Studies have shown that when you take one minute just for yourself every 30 minutes, your grades will improve. Cramming has proven not to work because you’re stressed, exhausted, and less likely to absorb everything that you’re trying to learn. Taking a minute just for you will allow you to breathe and reset your mind as you continue to study.
After your minute, make sure to take 10 more minutes to review what you’ve learned, and then 20 more minutes of new information before you take another break.
Just thinking about final exams gets stressful, so make sure to breathe and prepare the right way. Whether you’re writing papers, presenting, or taking an exam, preparation is the best way to get an A.
Here are some professor-approved study tips:
- Drink water, not soda or energy drinks.
- Eat fruits and veggies to give you natural energy.
- Turn your phone off as you study to lessen distractions.
- Find a study partner so you can quiz each other.
- Use the on-campus tutoring centers or peer-led groups.
- Talk to your professors! It shows that you care and are trying to do well.
- Make sure to eat a good breakfast the day of your exam. It truly is the most important meal of the day.
As a member of the Campus Advantage team, we want to do all we can to help you succeed! Make sure to stop by your local front office to see what resources or events they have to help you during this stressful week. We know that all of you are going to do amazing on your final exams!
We’ll have Scantrons and exam supplies in the office during finals weeks, stop by to pick some up! We’ll be having various events throughout the month. The office will also be holding a coat drive throughout December, so make sure to go through your old coats/sweatshirts and donate!
Breakfast to Go — December 4, 6, and 8
Movie Night — December 5
Hot Chocolate Bar — December 14
Sweet Reindeer Treats in the Office — December 18–22